Tuesday, February 24, 2009

SHE BLOGGED: I like Daniel Craig. I think he is indeed all that my dear husband so declares. He is a top-notch British agent, but is he James Bond? Not to me he isn't. For me he falls closer in line with Matt Damon's Bourne Identity character, whom I also like. But I grew up to a James Bond that was a little bit...ok, a lot cheesy. He was the sauve, ladies man who could deliver one liners with a charming smile while choking someone in a strangle hold. That James Bond is Sean Connery. Even as a kid I knew that much of what he was doing was totally impossible, but you knew to look the other way and let Hollywood work its magic -- and so I believed. Will I stop watching future James Bond movies because it's not Sean Connery? No. Along the same lines that my husband says that Heath Ledger is the better Joker than Jack Nickelson, I say that Sean Connery to me is the iconic James Bond. There have been 5 other actors before Daniel Craig to play the role of 007. And despite the fact that Sean Connery, by the way, was the first and the original James Bond, he is the better James Bond for me than George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton or Pierce Brosnan.

As critic Roger Ebert puts it: "Basically, you have Connery, and then you have all the rest."

No comments: